• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
On February 18th, the U.S. Southern Command announced on social media on February 17th that U.S. forces attacked three alleged drug-trafficking ships in the Eastern Pacific and Caribbean on the evening of February 16th, killing 11 people on board. Since early September of last year, the U.S. military has frequently attacked alleged drug-trafficking ships in the Caribbean and Eastern Pacific. However, the U.S. government has not released any evidence to prove that its targets were involved in drug trafficking.According to data from Maoyan Professional Edition, the movie "Pegasus 3" grossed over 800 million yuan in just two days after its release.Gold prices rose on Wednesday, February 18th, according to foreign media reports, supported by bargain hunting, after falling more than 2% the previous day due to progress in negotiations between the US and Iran, while thin trading and pressure from the Lunar New Year holiday in Asia. As of this writing, the price is up nearly 1%. The US dollar is holding steady today as geopolitical risks keep markets tense, with investors awaiting the minutes of the Federal Reserves January meeting for clues about future interest rate cuts. A stronger dollar makes dollar-denominated gold more expensive for holders of other currencies. Market participants still expect an interest rate cut this year, with January jobs data showing significantly fewer new jobs added in 2025 than previously estimated. Federal funds futures traders currently expect a 60 basis point rate cut by the end of the year, pushing the benchmark rate close to 3% and maintaining that level until at least June 2027. Federal Reserve Governor Barr said on Tuesday that the US inflation outlook remains risky, and the Fed may not cut rates again for quite some time. Chicago Federal Reserve President John Goolsby said the Fed could cut interest rates "multiple times" this year if inflation returns to its 2% target.Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi: I hope to pass the budget and tax reform bill as soon as possible.Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi: Will consider revising the Japanese Constitution.

Lawsuit accuses troubled crypto lender Celsius Network of fraud

Skylar Shaw

Jul 08, 2022 14:54

微信截图_20220708144808.png


On Thursday, a former investment manager at Celsius Network filed a lawsuit against the cryptocurrency lender, alleging that it had frozen client funds and had rigged the price of its own cryptocurrency token using user contributions.


According to the lawsuit, Celsius engaged in "gross mishandling of client deposits" in order to enrich itself and deceived plaintiff KeyFi Inc, controlled by former manager Jason Stone, into delivering services worth millions of dollars while refusing to pay for them.


The complaint was filed in Manhattan's New York state court and demands both specific compensation and punitive damages; Celsius has not yet responded.


Stone's charges come after Celsius decided on June 12 to halt transfers and withdrawals for its 1.7 million clients due to "extreme" market circumstances.


Later, the Hoboken, New Jersey-based business recruited consultants to discuss a potential debt restructure that would include declaring bankruptcy.


While the cryptocurrency hedge fund went into liquidation late last month, the crypto lender Voyager Digital Ltd filed for bankruptcy protection this week.


Celsius guaranteed retail consumers disproportionate returns, up to 19% yearly.


However, Stone said that Celsius had trouble paying investors because it neglected to hedge its bets, leading to "severe" losses when the value of several currencies changed.


He also claimed that Celsius had a $100 million to $200 million hole in its records that it "could not completely explain or rectify" because certain deposits were recorded on a U.S. dollar basis even though clients were paid in bitcoin or other digital currencies.


The case filed on Thursday claims that Stone produced $838 million in profit for Celsius and KeyFi before expenses and overhead from August 2020 to March 2021 while mostly operating without a formal agreement, with KeyFi being entitled to 20% of net profit.


When it became apparent that the hedging difficulties "may be financially ruinous" for Celsius and harm KeyFi's image, Stone claims he ended the connection in March 2021. However, Stone claims that Celsius has refused to accept his resignation.


KeyFi Inc. v. Celsius Network Ltd. et al., New York State Supreme Court, New York County, is the name of the case.