• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
Iran Situation: 1. Iranian Foreign Minister: A draft agreement with the US will be finalized within three days. 2. Iranian Oil Minister: Oil cooperation between Iran and the US is not impossible. 3. Trump confirmed he is considering a "limited military strike" against Iran. 4. Iranian expert: Israel is the biggest uncertainty in the Iran-US negotiations. 5. The USs largest aircraft carrier, the USS Gerald R. Ford, and an escort destroyer appeared near Gibraltar. 6. Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi stated that the US did not demand "zero uranium enrichment" from Iran during the Geneva talks. Iran did not propose a "zero enrichment" option. 7. Irans letter to the UN Secretary-General: If subjected to military aggression, Iran will retaliate, and all bases, facilities, and assets of "hostile forces" in the region will become legitimate targets. Other: 1. Norway reiterated that it will not join the so-called "Peace Commission." 2. France said the European Commissions participation in the "Peace Commission" meeting was "unauthorized." 3. Yemens new government held its first meeting; demonstrators demanded the new government withdraw from Aden. 4. According to Yonhap News Agency: South Korea attended the first meeting of the Gaza Peace Committee established by Trump. 5. Hamas: Any arrangements regarding Gaza must be predicated on stopping Israeli aggression.The U.S. military said it struck a suspected drug smuggling ship in the eastern Pacific on Friday, killing three people.The White House stated that goods exempt from the new trade tax include passenger cars, certain light trucks, and certain aerospace products.The White House stated that, in light of recent developments, the additional tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act will no longer be in effect and will be discontinued as soon as practicable.The White House issued an executive order announcing the termination of certain trade tax measures.

Celsius crypto lender, now bankrupt, sues ex-money manager over alleged theft

Jimmy Khan

Aug 24, 2022 15:25

微信截图_20220824145934.png


Before the cryptocurrency lender went bankrupt last month, Celsius Network LLC, according to a lawsuit filed on Tuesday by the company against a former investment manager, lost or stole assets worth tens of millions of dollars.


After Stone misrepresented himself as a pioneer in the industry, Celsius filed a case in Manhattan bankruptcy court accusing Stone and his business KeyFi Inc of "gross carelessness" and "extraordinarily poor" crypto investment.


Stone was "unable" to use cryptocurrencies profitably, according to Celsius, leading to losses of "several tens of millions of dollars."


He allegedly used stolen money to purchase hundreds of non-fungible tokens ("NFTs"), which he kept out of sight, and then hid his activities by using Tornado Cash, a cryptocurrency "mixer" that the U.S. Treasury Department banned on August 8 due to concerns that it could be used to launder the proceeds of cybercrime.


Six weeks after KeyFi sued Celsius in a Manhattan-based New York state court, the current case was filed on Tuesday.


It alleged that Celsius operated a Ponzi scheme, improperly handled client deposits, neglected to hedge investments, and defrauded Stone of possible compensation worth hundreds of millions of dollars.


According to court documents, Stone worked with Celsius for roughly seven months, concluding in March 2021.


Stone's attorney Kyle Roche said via email that Celsius CEO Alex Mashinsky had approved KeyFi's remuneration, which included NFTs.


The most recent filing by Celsius, according to Roche, "is an effort to rewrite history and make KeyFi and Mr. Stone the scapegoat for their organizational failure."


Each party feels the other is owed money, and both lawsuits aim to recover it as well as compensatory and punitive damages.


After halting withdrawals and transfers for its 1.7 million clients because to "extreme" market circumstances on July 13, Celsius, located in Hoboken, New Jersey, filed for Chapter 11 protection from creditors.


The cases are KeyFi Inc. v. Celsius Network Ltd. et al., New York State Supreme Court, New York County, No. 652367/2022; and Celsius Network Ltd. et al. v. Stone et al., U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of New York, No. 22-ap-01139.