• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
August 19th - According to the latest report from AFP, British Prime Minister Andrew Burnham confirmed on the 18th that he had exchanged messages with someone impersonating Susie Wiles, the White House Chief of Staff. The report stated that Burnham discussed the matter during a visit to Wolverhampton, a city in central England, saying that "nothing sensitive was discussed in the exchange." When asked if he was embarrassed by being deceived, Burnham replied, "No, Im not embarrassed because it was a very brief exchange, nothing substantial. And I quickly realized I needed to report it, and I did." US media reported that on the 17th, a reporter asked US President Trump if he was concerned about the matter. Trump responded that he believed it was just a "communication misunderstanding" and said he had had several "very good conversations" with Burnham.On August 19th, according to the Wall Street Journal, OpenAI told investors that its second-quarter revenue grew 18% from the first quarter, but losses widened further, disappointing some shareholders who had hoped the startup would make more progress and catch up with its competitor Anthropic. According to sources familiar with the matter, the companys revenue reached $6.7 billion in the three months ending June, compared to $5.7 billion in the first quarter. Meanwhile, its operating profit margin declined further, making its prospects for profitability ahead of its highly anticipated IPO even more uncertain.According to the Wall Street Journal, OpenAI said its revenue grew to $6.7 billion in the three months ending in June.Market sources indicate that Anthropic is expected to begin its IPO process within weeks.The China Earthquake Networks Center automatically determined that an earthquake of approximately magnitude 5.6 occurred near Haixi Prefecture, Qinghai Province at 05:36 on August 19. The final result is subject to the official rapid report.

OPEC Warns EU Replacing Lost Russian Oil Supplies is Impossible

Haiden Holmes

Apr 12, 2022 09:21

O6.png


"We might possibly lose over 7 million barrels per day (bpd) of Russian oil and other liquids exports as a consequence of existing and future sanctions or other voluntary steps," OPEC Secretary General Mohammad Barkindo said in a draft of his speech obtained by Reuters.


"Given the present demand picture, it would be practically difficult to compensate for this scale of volume loss."


The European Union renewed its appeal during the conference for oil-producing nations to consider increasing supplies to help calm surging oil prices, according to a European Commission official.


EU delegates also emphasized OPEC's responsibilities to maintain stable oil markets, the source said.


OPEC has rejected requests from the US and the International Energy Agency to increase petroleum production in order to lower prices, which hit a 14-year high last month as a result of Washington and Brussels imposing sanctions on Russia in response to its invasion of Ukraine.


According to an OPEC document reviewed by Reuters, at the discussion with OPEC, the EU said that OPEC might increase output from its spare capacity.


Nonetheless, Barkindo said that the present extremely volatile market is the product of "non-fundamental variables" outside OPEC's control, indicating the organization would refrain from pumping further crude.


OPEC, which includes OPEC and non-OPEC producers including Russia, would increase supply by around 432,000 barrels per day in May as part of a gradual unwinding of output curbs implemented during the worst of the COVID-19 epidemic.


The EU-OPEC meeting on Monday afternoon was the latest in a series of discussions that began in 2005.


So far, penalties on Russian oil have been omitted by the EU. However, when the 27-nation group decided last week to impose Russian coal – the organization's first energy-related restriction – several top EU officials suggested oil may come next.


The European Commission is preparing ideas for an oil embargo against Russia, Ireland's, Lithuania's, and the Netherlands' foreign ministers announced Monday during an EU foreign ministers conference in Luxembourg, despite the fact that there was no consensus to restrict Russian petroleum.


Australia, Canada, and the United States, which are less dependent on Russian energy than Europe, have already prohibited the import of Russian oil.


EU member states are divided on whether to follow suit, given their increased reliance and the possibility for the move to drive up Europe's already high energy costs.


The EU plans to reduce its oil consumption by 30% by 2030, compared to 2015 levels, as part of its climate change objectives – yet an embargo would prompt a rush to replace Russian oil with other supplies in the near term.