• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
On August 21, Ukrainian Energy Minister Shmyhal stated that Ukraines energy reserves, including natural gas and coal, needed for the winter are nearing or have exceeded planned targets. Speaking to the Verkhovna Rada (parliament) regarding the protection of winter energy facilities and energy preparedness, Shmyhal said that underground gas storage facilities currently hold 14.3 billion cubic meters of natural gas, close to the previously set target of 14.6 billion cubic meters for winter storage; coal reserves have already exceeded targets. Furthermore, winter fuel reserves are being established to prioritize power supply to backup generators and critical infrastructure in frontline areas. Shmyhal said that by the end of this year, Ukraines total installed power generation capacity is expected to reach 19.6 gigawatts, exceeding the minimum required power generation capacity for the winter. Shmyhal also stated that Ukraine has allocated 35 billion hryvnia (approximately US$785 million) this year to strengthen the protection of local energy facilities.On August 21, Iranian Foreign Minister Araqchi posted on social media that the sanctions and pressure policies imposed on Iran by successive US administrations "have all ended in failure," and the latest economic pressure measures announced by the US are also "doomed to failure." Araqchi reviewed a series of US policies against Iran in recent years—14 years ago, the US declared the imposition of the "toughest sanctions in history," 8 years ago it implemented "maximum pressure," and 5 months ago it demanded Irans "unconditional surrender"—all of which ultimately failed. Regarding US President Trumps recent announcement of "the most destructive economic action in history" against Iran, Araqchi stated that this action is also "doomed to failure." He also criticized the lack of substantial change in the US policy towards Iran by successive administrations. Araqchi wrote: "Weve seen this drama before; the same nonsense, just with a different group of bullies."August 21st - According to the Globe and Mail, sources revealed that a potential trade agreement being negotiated between Canada and the United States would introduce a tariff quota system for Canadian steel exports. Exports within the quota would be subject to a 25% tariff, while exports exceeding the quota would be subject to a 50% tariff. According to a steel industry executive, Canada has agreed to a tariff quota system for steel, allowing 4 million tons of steel annually to be shipped to the United States at the lower 25% tariff rate. Exports exceeding this 4 million tons will still face a 50% tariff. Two other industry sources confirmed that Ottawa and Washington have agreed to a 25% tariff within the quota. Canada has agreed to eliminate all reciprocal tariffs on U.S. steel and further restrict steel imports from third countries. In addition, Canada is also negotiating aluminum trade terms with the goal of reducing tariffs.The German DAX 30 index closed up 136.45 points, or 0.52%, at 26,148.00 on Friday, August 21; the UK FTSE 100 index closed up 71.22 points, or 0.66%, at 10,819.38 on Friday, August 21; and the French CAC 40 index closed up 31.34 points, or 0.37%, at 8,484.43 on Friday, August 21; the Euro... The Stoxx 50 index closed up 44.59 points, or 0.69%, at 6466.65 on Friday, August 21; the Spanish IBEX 35 index closed up 144.52 points, or 0.73%, at 19962.52 on Friday, August 21; and the Italian FTSE MIB index closed up 39.18 points, or 0.07%, at 52705.00 on Friday, August 21.On August 21, Iranian Navy Commander Shahram Ilani stated that the area east of the Strait of Hormuz and the Gulf of Oman—a crucial waterway connecting the Strait of Hormuz and the Persian Gulf—is currently under Irans "complete control," and that Iran is "monitoring all movements of hostile forces outside the region around the clock." He added that the Iranian armed forces, under the leadership of the Supreme Leader, remain on high alert and "will soon deliver a major, historic, and unforgettable lesson to the enemy at sea."

New look CBDCs and cryptomarket to emerge from turmoil

Skylar Shaw

Feb 07, 2023 15:19

The upheaval of last year did not wipe out the cryptomarkets, but the next wave of central bank digital currencies will have geopolitical limitations, according to the new innovation director of the Bank for International Settlements.


The BIS, sometimes known as the central bank of the world, has long been dismissive of cryptocurrencies, comparing bitcoin in the past to both a ponzi scheme and a market bubble.


Many of its forecasts came true when Sam Bankman-FTX Fried's empire, along with Celcius, Three Arrows Capital, and a number of "stablecoins," collapsed last year, wiping out more than $2 trillion from the value of the industry.


However, there has been somewhat of a resurgence since the beginning of 2023, with the price of bitcoin rising by 40%.


In her first in-depth interview since accepting the position, Cecilia Skingsley, the new director of the BIS "Innovation Hub," told Reuters: "I would anticipate that the sector would learn from these mistakes and they will come up with new solutions."


The former Swedish central banker said that it didn't seem as if the issues had any impact on the ambitions of central banks for what may amount to a sizable number of nationally-issued digital currencies (CBDCs) in the next years.


The BIS, which serves as the umbrella organization for all central banks worldwide, has been in charge of organizing many of the international trials with CBDCs, which may be created either for use by the general public or solely by banks for use in the 'wholesale' money markets.


Everything I've heard indicates that the people working on these initiatives are moving forward, Skingsley added.


Eleven nations have already started a CBDC, and more than 100 others—representing more than 95% of the global GDP—are now examining the idea. This year is expected to see many key milestones.

For instance, China will extend its digital yuan pilot to the majority of its 1.4 billion citizens. The go-ahead for extensive testing should be given to the European Central Bank. Additionally, the U.S. Federal Reserve is conducting certain tests, and significant actions are also being taken by Australia, Britain, Brazil, India, South Korea, and Russia.


This international drive comes as physical currency use declines and governments attempt to counter the danger that bitcoin and "Big Tech" companies pose to their ability to produce money.


Another motivator has been the recent sanctions placed on nations like Russia and Venezuela, which have caused even steadfast U.S. allies like Europe to seek for an alternative to the Visa, Mastercard, and Swift networks.


When it comes to defense and food supply, you must be sufficiently robust, but it also becomes crucial when it comes to payment systems, according to Skingsley.


"I can see why any nation would want to know, all right, how robust are we? Which nations may be our allies and friends?