• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
According to Saudi media Hadas, military sources said that the Yemeni National Resistance Navy destroyed a Houthi speedboat loaded with explosives in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait.Axios, citing U.S. officials, reported that approximately 16 million barrels of oil left the Strait of Hormuz via the southern shipping lane on Friday night.August 22nd - Analysts say US President Trump is attempting to achieve what tens of thousands of bombs and missiles failed to do: force Iran to end the war according to US conditions by imposing a new round of sanctions, a naval blockade, and increased economic pressure on Irans trading partners. However, this old approach of "forcing Iran to submit" has a fatal flaw: Irans Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has effectively controlled the Strait of Hormuz and has repeatedly launched large numbers of attack drones towards the Persian Gulf. The Revolutionary Guard is largely immune to economic pressure and has ample means of retaliation. A key turning point in this round of US action is Monday, when Treasury Secretary Bessant will announce details of a new plan. This plan aims to shift the conflict from mutual airstrikes in the Middle East to comprehensive economic isolation. However, if the new economic pressure proves effective, Iran is likely to retaliate with military strikes, targeting energy facilities along the Persian Gulf coast, attempting to drive up oil prices, increase the cost of US action, and force Trump to change course again.According to Fox News, U.S. Trade Representative Greer stated that there are no plans for new negotiations with Canada.Ukrainian President Zelenskyy: He discussed the air defense shortage with French President Macron, and Macron agreed to expedite the delivery of the latest French equipment.

Major media want to know who guaranteed Sam Bankman-Fried’s $250 million bond

Cory Russell

Jan 13, 2023 15:38

微信截图_20230113145130.png


Saying the public interest “cannot be overstated,” lawyers for the outlets, including Reuters, said the public’s right to know Bankman-Fried’s guarantors outweighed their privacy and safety rights.


In a letter to U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan in Manhattan, the lawyers distinguished the case from another judge’s December 2020 decision not to reveal who guaranteed a bond for British socialite Ghislaine Maxwell, then accused and later convicted of aiding in financier Jeffrey Epstein’s sex crimes.


“While Mr. Bankman-Fried is accused of serious financial crimes, a public association with him does not carry nearly the same stigma as with the Jeffrey Epstein child sex trafficking scandal,” lawyers for the outlets wrote.


Media seeking to identify Bankman-Fried’s sureties also include the Associated Press, Bloomberg, CNBC, Wall Street Journal publisher Dow Jones, the Financial Times, Insider and the Washington Post. The New York Times has asked separately for the names.


A spokesman for Mark Cohen and Christian Everdell, who represent Bankman-Fried, declined to comment. Cohen and Everdell also represented Maxwell in her criminal case.


In seeking to keep the sureties’ names under wraps, Bankman-Fried’s lawyers said their client’s parents, who co-signed the $250 million bond, had been harassed and received physical threats since FTX’s early November collapse and bankruptcy.


The lawyers said there was “serious cause for concern” the additional sureties might suffer similar treatment if their names went public.


Bankman-Fried has pleaded not guilty to criminal charges that he looted billions of dollars at FTX, in part by diverting customer deposits to support his Alameda Research hedge fund, buy real estate, and make political donations.


His parents, Joseph Bankman and Barbara Fried, are Stanford Law School professors. Bankman, who has not been accused of wrongdoing, has hired his own lawyer in the case, according to a person familiar with the matter.