• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
A Ukrainian drone strike on a warehouse belonging to Russian online retailer Ozon has killed at least 10 people.Israeli Foreign Minister: We prefer to resolve the issue with Türkiye through diplomatic means.August 23 – The trade dispute between the US and Canada has escalated further, with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announcing that Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on US imports starting September 8. Carney stated on Saturday, “We are reluctantly taking this step because we recognize that it will increase costs for Canadians, reduce purchasing options, hurt innocent American businesses and states, and hinder cooperation between our two countries.” He said the retaliatory tariffs will primarily target steel, dairy products, home appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp, paper products, and electronics, with more details to be released in the coming days. Following the breakdown of trade negotiations on Friday evening, the US imposed 50% tariffs on hundreds of Canadian goods on Saturday, totaling approximately $20 billion, including plywood, alcoholic beverages, electrical equipment, and hockey equipment.On August 23, Russian President Vladimir Putin stated on August 22 that the Ukrainian armed forces had been launching missile and drone attacks against Russia for the past 40 days in an attempt to defeat Russia, but this was "nothing more than a gamble." He claimed that the Ukrainian attacks had not brought about any substantial change in the situation. Putin also stated that in response to the Ukrainian attacks on civilian infrastructure in Russia, the Russian military had intensified its attacks on Ukrainian companies, and that the retaliatory strikes by Russia were "more destructive."Canadian Prime Minister Carney: The government is prepared to provide financial support to affected industries under the new 50% tariff.

Crypto contagion deepens: Coinbase to lay off about 950 employees

Skylar Shaw

Jan 11, 2023 14:33

微信截图_20230111101030.png


The company, whose shares were up 3.3% at $39.52, said it expects to incur about $149 million to $163 million in restructuring expenses.


“The entire industry is going through a crisis of confidence and trading volume remains very weak. This job cut is a reflection of the current challenging environment,” Oppenheimer analyst Owen Lau said.


Last year, rising interest rates and worries of an economic downturn wiped out more than a trillion dollars from the crypto sector.


However, the bigger blow came after crypto exchange FTX filed for bankruptcy protection in November.


“We also saw the fallout from unscrupulous actors in the industry, and there could still be further contagion,” Coinbase Chief Executive Brian Armstrong said in a blog post on Tuesday.


“We will be shutting down several projects where we have a lower probability of success.”

Coinbase said it had no additional comment on the plan

“This (job cuts) is a move that can help with near-term operating leverage,” said Mizuho analyst Ryan Coyne, adding that it would not fix the underlying issue of rapidly deteriorating volumes.


“It is going to require much more significant cost cutting to accommodate the current volume run rate.”


The crypto sector’s woes have continued this year, marked by plunging deposits, layoffs and multiple legal hurdles.


Coinbase in November cut more than 60 jobs in its recruiting and institutional onboarding teams, after slashing 1,100 jobs, or 18% of its workforce, in June.


The company’s shares lost about 86% of their value last year.