• English
  • 简体中文
  • 繁體中文
  • Tiếng Việt
  • ไทย
  • Indonesia
Subscribe
Real-time News
On August 19th, Kenji Koshimizu, co-head of Mizuhos global markets division, stated that the Bank of Japan (BOJ) may raise interest rates again as early as September, potentially increasing the frequency of policy adjustments from approximately once every six months to once every three months. Koshimizu noted that the weak yen and inflationary pressures are pushing the BOJ to accelerate its actions, and he does not rule out two rate hikes before the end of the year, bringing the policy rate to 1.5%. The market currently anticipates a 78% probability of a rate hike by the BOJ on September 18th. He stated that Mizuho will continue its conservative Japanese government bond investment strategy, focusing only on inflation-linked bonds and short-term government bonds. Although the 10-year JGB yield has risen to a 30-year high, it remains below Japans nominal economic growth rate of approximately 4%. Koshimizu believes that global structural changes and investment growth may further push up Japans neutral interest rate, while inflation risks remain skewed to the upside. Regarding the yen, he stated that the joint intervention by the US and Japan reflects both sides desire to prevent further yen depreciation, but the yens weakness is partly due to Japans loose monetary policy. He anticipates that the Japanese economy is undergoing a significant transformation in decades, and while the Japanese stock market remains attractive, financial market volatility may intensify.According to relevant documents, Brazilian energy company Cosan has formally notified the New York Stock Exchange of its intention to delist its American Depositary Receipts (ADS).August 19th - Bond traders are once again adjusting their strategies. After a series of data suggested that the Federal Reserve is unlikely to raise interest rates for the remainder of the year, options market bets are attempting to hedge against the risk of the Fed turning to rate cuts in 2027. This dovish bet contradicts recent movements in the U.S. Treasury market: long-term bond yields have risen to multi-year highs because a Fed wait-and-see approach would allow inflation to remain above target for a longer period. Options traders, whose policy path is closely tied to the Feds, are turning their attention to signs of a weakening U.S. economy, believing this could trigger a market reversal. This move emerged after data released last week showed that inflation and consumer demand slowed in July, cooling market expectations for a rate hike at the Feds September meeting. Options market participants subsequently began adjusting their positions, reducing the magnitude of rate hikes priced in for the coming months in the swap market. Some options are even considering hedging against a potential rate cut by the middle of next year. "The fear of rate hikes has eased," said Jeff Shul, head of interest rates at Constitution Capital, noting that recent positions betting on this outcome are being liquidated.Reserve Bank of New Zealand Governor Brehman: The Reserve Bank of New Zealand is advancing various initiatives to promote competition in the banking sector.On August 19, French Foreign Minister Jean-Michel Barrow announced on social media that France would expel two Iranian diplomats in response to the detention and interrogation of two French diplomats by Iranian security services. Barrow had posted on social media on July 20 that Iranian security services had detained and interrogated two French embassy staff members for several hours the previous evening, violating their diplomatic immunity. Barrow also said he had told the Iranian Foreign Minister that this action was "extremely serious and unacceptable" and "will have consequences." The Iranian Foreign Ministry issued a statement on August 18, local time, saying that given the two French diplomats violation of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, Iran had decided to declare them persona non grata and prohibit them from entering Iran.

California’s DFPI Investigating Multiple Crypto Lending Companies

Jul 14, 2022 14:28

微信截图_20220714142242.png


The California Department of Financial Protection and Innovation (DFPI), which regulates the activities of state-licensed financial institutions such as banks and premium finance businesses, has announced that it is investigating whether businesses that suspended customer withdrawals and transfers broke any laws.


More specifically, the government is looking at a number of cryptocurrency businesses with U.S. headquarters after some reputable lenders permanently stopped allowing transfers and withdrawals between user accounts.

Accounts for crypto assets that pay interest

In particular, the Department of Financial Protection and Innovation is concentrating on "multiple companies" that provide customers with interest-bearing crypto asset accounts, also known as crypto-interest accounts, as well as service providers who "may not have adequately disclosed risks customers face when they deposit crypto-assets onto [lenders'] platforms."


To ascertain if they are breaking any laws that fall within the purview of the Department is the main goal of the inquiry.


The DFPI previously emphasized that providers of crypto-interest accounts are not subject to the same regulations and safeguards as banks and credit unions, which is particularly concerning in light of some platforms' restrictions on customers' ability to withdraw money from and transfer funds among their accounts.


Because of this, the agency has advised customers to proceed with "great care" before answering any inquiries about investments or financial services.


Also pointing to two cease and desist orders it recently sent to BlockFi and Voyager Digital to suspend their sales in California, DFPI has shown how certain crypto-interest account providers have been promoting unregistered securities.

securing customer property

Following Voyager Digital, the second well-known cryptocurrency business to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in recent weeks, DFPI made its statement. The Toronto-based company calculates that it has between $1 and $10 billion in assets, over 100,000 creditors, and liabilities of the same amount.


According to Voyager Digital, the action is a part of a "Plan of Reorganization" that intends to provide customers access to their accounts once again. Customers will have the option of receiving cryptocurrency, money recovered from Three Arrows Capital, common shares in the newly reorganized business, and Voyager tokens.


Due to worries about liquidity, Celsius (CEL) has stopped withdrawals and transfers since June 12. There are rumors that the management of the firm has been discussing Chapter 11 bankruptcy with attorneys.


As it faces with the potential of bankruptcy, the business is presently seeking restructuring guidance from the advising firm Alvarez & Marsal.


Additionally, the turbulent market circumstances last week caused the Singapore-based cryptocurrency platform Vauld to stop operations. The business instantly halted all trading, deposits, and withdrawals, and said that, up until further notice, it would only accept client deposits for its collateralized loans product.


Currently, numerous platforms have had client money frozen for many weeks while the future of their depositors' assets is still unknown.